Become an entry-level commercial truck driver in just four weeks!
UCC provides high quality training to help you gain job placement with a company that is compatible with your needs. UCC's four weeks of CDL training excels compared to other programs when you consider the following:
- Professional truck driver certification standards
- Highly experienced, professional instructors
- Excellent classroom and teaching methods that provide the depth of understanding needed to be successful
- High-quality training to help you gain job placement with the best companies
- More behind-the-wheel time than comparable programs
Training is provided by an accredited institution with well-established policies and procedures as described in the UCC Student Handbook and College Catalog.
The Umpqua Community College Commercial Truck Driving program includes classroom training covering: logbooks and trip planning. This is followed by road/yard training covering: behind-the-wheel driving, backing, chaining up, make and brake, and completion of the CDL drive test.
If you have a CDL and need additional hours to improve or refresh your skills, sign up for CDL Class A Refresher Training.
Completion of this program could lead to employment as one of the following:
- Chip Hauler
- Local Delivery Driver
- Log Hauler
- Long-Haul Truck Driver
- Sand and Gravel Hauler
The trucking industry expects to hire about 80,000 new drivers every year for the next 10 years, according to a survey done by the American Trucking Association.
Women and minorities may have even greater opportunities.
UCC provides graduates with job placement assistance. Recruiters from local and national trucking companies visit UCC classes. It is common for students to have multiple job offers before graduation. However, UCC makes NO guarantee of a job. You are encouraged to research and choose the trucking company that best suits your needs rather than accept the first offer. It is strongly recommended that students stay with the first company who employs them for at least 1 year.
Once you complete the program, it is very important you keep the school informed of your current address and phone numbers. You will receive periodic follow-up placement inquiries from UCC to document job placement.
In addition, UCC requests that you notify the school once you have gone to work for a trucking company, after 30 days of work, and again after you have been on the job for 90 days.
For more information about this field, you may want to explore the Oregon Labor Market Information System website.
View / Download catalog information for Professional Truck Driving Certification
If you are interested in this program, you must meet the following prerequisites:
- Placement into MTH 010, Math Skills; RD 080, Basic Reading; and WR 090, Writing Skills.
- Must have a valid Oregon driver’s license with at least one year driving experience and a clean driving record for the last five years.
- Must have no felony convictions in the last seven years (Hazmat requirement).
- Must pass a DOT physical and have a clean urinalysis (DOT pre-employment drug screen).
- Must provide verifiable work history or schooling.
- Must be at least 18 years old to drive intrastate, 21 years old to drive interstate. Most trucking companies will not accept drivers under 23 years old due to insurance requirements. If you are not yet 23, you must see the Commercial Truck Driving program coordinator as your employment may be limited (See Industry Standards).
Once you have met the program prerequisites, you need to go to the DMV to take the Airbrake and Combination Vehicle tests and obtain your class A CDL, then contact the program coordinator to register for the class.
Classroom portion will be held 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. for one week. Road and yard training will be held
7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday for three weeks (with a few exceptions for Third Party
Community and Workforce Training
Community and Workforce Training
At UCC, you can earn a variety of certificates and degrees that can enhance your current career or place you in the workforce sooner. Plus, UCC offers:
• Expert faculty dedicated to teaching
• Personal attention and small class sizes
• Online classes