Umpqua Community College Library Laptop/iPad Check-out Policy
Checking out a laptop or iPad implies agreement with the following:
“I have read and understand the Laptop/iPad Check-Out Policy (below). I agree to pay all costs associated with damage to this laptop computer or its replacement costs should it be lost or stolen. I understand that there are significant overdue fines for the late return of this laptop and that the replacement cost for this laptop is $1500 and any associated overdue fines.”
Laptop & iPad Check-Out Policy
- Library laptops/iPads are available to currently enrolled UCC students for 3 hour periods for use inside the library only.
- Only UCC students currently enrolled in CREDIT CLASSES, faculty, and staff are eligible to check out Library Laptops or iPpads. Credit students pay student technology fees to make this equipment. Students must have their UCC ID card with a current term sticker.
- If you checkout a laptop or iPad, it is assumed you know how to use it responsibly. The library staff and lab aides are not able to provide hardware or software troubleshooting, tutoring, or assistance.
- Laptops/iPads will be available on a first come, first served basis and may not be reserved in advance. The library does not maintain a waiting list. Only one laptop or iPad at a time may be borrowed by an individual.
- Laptops/iPads may be checked out at the circulation desk until one hour before the library closes. Equipment must be returned no later than 15 minutes before closing.
- Laptop/iPad checkouts can be renewed, if there is no other student waiting. Laptop/iPads/peripherals currently checked out can be renewed with the student I.D. card used for checkout as long as item(s) are not overdue.
- Don’t be late! Return the laptop before it is overdue. Always return the laptop to a library staff member and do not leave it unattended. FINES: $5/any part of first hour and $10/any part of each additional hour. $1500 replacement cost for a lost, damaged-beyond-repair, or stolen laptop. After 24 hours overdue, the laptop will be considered lost.
- Save files to your own storage media. Do not save personal files or download software to the laptop hard drive at any time. Files will be deleted and you may lose the privilege of checking out laptops/iPads.
- The student to whom the laptop/iPad is checked out is responsible for any associated costs if the laptop/iPad or peripheral is lost, stolen, damaged, or overdue. Do not leave equipment unattended.
- Report any problems with the laptop/iPad immediately. If available, another will be checked out to you.
- Laptops/iPads are battery powered, unless it is plugged in. Watch for “battery low” warnings.
- Comply with all library and college policies regarding use of technology.
- The College is not responsible for any viruses which may be transferred to a user’s personal storage device, nor is it responsible for any lost or corrupted files.