Educational Talent Search
The Program at UCC
TRIO Talent Search programs serve young people in grades seven through twelve. In addition to counseling, participants receive information about college admissions requirements, scholarships and various student financial aid programs. This early intervention program helps young people to better understand their educational opportunities and options. Over 320, 854 Americans are enrolled in 360 Talent Search TRIO programs.
Who We Are
In 1965 congress established and funded TRIO programs to assist low-income, first generation students complete high school, enter college, and graduate. UCC’s Educational Talent Search (ETS) is federally funded by the United States Department of Education. Locally, ETS targets students in the sixth through twelfth grades and re-entry students up to age twenty-seven, in the Douglas County area.
UCC’s ETS serves a total of 600 students. Students are referred to the program by high school counselors, parents, teachers, current participants, and other sources. Participants are selected using the following criteria:
- be between the ages of 12 and 27 and live in the Douglas County area
- have a genuine interest in and the potential for academic success in high school and college
- Two-thirds of the students must:
- meet federal income eligibility guidelines and
- be a potential first generation college student (neither parent received a four-year college degree)
- One-third of the students may:
- have any economic background
- have a parent that has received a four-year college degree
The goals of ETS are to help you prepare for college and help find the money you need to go to college. The project helps students successfully complete high school and continue with their education at a college, trade or technical school.
Schools We Serve:
- Coffenberry, Winston, Joseph Lane, Fremont, and Sutherlin Middle Schools
- South Umpqua, Douglas, Roseburg, Sutherlin, Glide, Oakland, and Riddle High Schools
To apply print and complete and sign the application below, then mail it to the following address:Umpqua Community CollegeEducational Talent SearchPO Box 967Roseburg, OR 97470