Online Learning at Umpqua Community College
Umpqua Community College offers online courses to provide an additional learning opportunity for students. You can take online courses to make your educational experience convenient for you. Online courses generally cover the same materials that would be found in the traditional on-campus course. Online classes provide an additional learning opportunity for students in an environment alternative to the traditional classroom. Most online courses are taught mostly over the Internet. This means that you do not have to physically come to campus and sit in a classroom, so you could take a course from anywhere you have Internet access. Your instructor's lectures are usually in a text format and can be read from your computer screen or can be printed out and read later.
Online learning can be a rewarding and convenient way to obtain your educational goals. Umpqua Community College has provided Animated Tutorials for Your Online Success on the ANGEL Learning Management System without the need of an ID or Password. In addition, the Distance Learning team provides on-campus orientations at beginning of each term.
Facts About Online Learning
- Online learning requires you to be a motivated, self-disciplined, and responsible learner.
- Online student have a specific place to study and work on their course assignments.
- The place an online student chooses to study should be free of distractions and interruptions to increase concentration and retention of knowledge.
- Online students need to be able to read and learn for comprehension and do not need to listen to an instructor’s lecture to learn.
- Online students will need to dedicate 2-3 hours per credit hour for each course, which is about 9 hours a week for a 3 credit course.
- Students who have family and friends who support them in their educational goals are more apt to succeed and be consistent with their education.
- Online courses require a student to be able to manage their time and get their assignments done without the typical face-to-face instructor reminding them of their due dates and assignment schedule.
- In an online situation, students will need to be able to work their way through difficulties without becoming discouraged.
- Online learning is done in a technology based environment. Students will need to know and understand how to use technology before taking a course online.
- Students need to be able to work independently in a computer environment. It is important that an online student is comfortable with computer technology and can figure things out on their own.
Are You Ready For Online Learning?
If you are an independent learner, self-disciplined, self-motivated and enjoy working on a computer, online learning may be right for you. Most of the coursework for online courses can be completed any time day or night. Online learning is great for those unable to attend regularly scheduled classes. However, if you are not able to set and maintain a schedule which allows you to keep up with the required materials for each course, online learning may not be for you. Online learning requires the student to be resourceful and able to handle the isolated feeling that can come from online learning. However, if you are one of those students who prefer traditional classroom, you can still be an online student. It means that you need to understand what is involved before you begin and plan accordingly.
WHAT ONLINE CLASSES ARE NOT…
One of the biggest myths is students sometimes believe that online courses are easier than the traditional classroom and that there is not as much work. Online courses are just as intense as any on-campus course. Online classes are sometimes more so because more responsibility for learning on you, the student. You do not have an instructor physically in the classroom reminding you of due dates or directing your process. Online learning feedback to your questions is usually delayed. You will need to be resourceful and understand the online learning program, the course details, your computer and the Internet.